Friday, January 31, 2014

“Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are.”


“Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are.”

                 -- ancient proverb

Below you will find four of my favorite reads – out of a library that is way too large to be sensible 
 

Selling the Invisible is pure analog in a digital world.  It remains my favorite book of all time and I have given away hundreds of copies over the years.  Originally published in 1977, it is a marketing classic.  When I taught a marketing class for new franchisees at Tuffy Auto Service Centers, it was required reading.  I gave everyone who attended a copy.  I still read this book each year and continue to discover new ideas that can be applied to business today.  I believe the longest chapter is 4 pages.  Among his gems, “Too often, service sucks.”  Before you launch a marketing campaign, fix your service.  “Bad news, you are competing with Walt Disney.” (Page 8)   Be sure to read, “A Butterfly Named Roger” (page 11).  “Life is Like High School” (page 51).  “Brands and the Baby-Sitter” page 163.  Better yet, it is only 250 small pages.  Read it all. 


What makes things popular?  Jonah Berger looks at why people talk about some ideas and products but not others.  He looks beyond advertising and focuses on what gets consumers talking.  Look at Social Currency (page 29) – we share things that make us look good.  Learn why a cheesesteak costs $100 and is a best seller (page 2).  How Kit Kat used coffee as a trigger to boost sales (page 81).  Social proof (page 128) and why the line at a restaurant reaches around the block… 


You see this book advertised a lot on Linked In.  I was exposed to it by ChrisTiutan at Optimizely.  Dan and Pete are the co-founders of Optimizely and wrote the book.  A/B Testing gives you a lot of ideas and case studies on how the smallest changes on your web site can yield amazing results.  Test and measure.  I find that the concept really embodies a way of thinking that applies outside of web sites, and is really a commentary on how marketers should not take anything for granted.  Test and measure other marketing decisions.  You never know when a change of a single term from “Submit” to “Support” means millions of dollars (page 61). 

 
Actually anything by Gladwell is a great read.  I also like David & Goliath, The Tipping Point (Troy and I were talking about The Tipping Point earlier this week.), What the Dog Saw and Outliers.  “Blink is a book about those first two seconds.”  The first two seconds is when many of us make our decision.  Gladwell shares stories that quantify this intellectual/emotional reaction and explains how most of the time we are….  You will have to read it to find the answer. 

Enjoy the weekend.

Go Broncos.
 
 
“Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.” ~ Jonathan Swift



No comments: