Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Was He Just An Idiot Or Is It A Generational Thing?

It started with me needing a pair of pants on a Saturday afternoon. My wife and I stopped at a national chain store, specializing in men's fashion. I had been receiving emails from them with tempting offers for months.
I found the style I liked in black, in my size and asked if they had the same pair in grey or charcoal.
"Not in your size, but I can order them directly from the warehouse and have them shipped to your house by this coming Wednesday!"
Overall I was impressed with my first visit with this brand. Nice selection of clothing that I would wear. Friendly, hands on customer service. Until Wednesday. No pants. Well with all the weather problems, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't sure where the pants were shipping from, but I understood that the Arctic freight train running over much of the nation could have easily disrupted the normal chains of distribution.
Another week passed. No pants. Armed with my receipt, I called the store. I should have known this was not going to be easy - the store's phone number was not on the shipping order. Fortunately Google knew it.
"Dave" answered the phone and I told him my problem. "Do you have your receipt?" Yes. Right here in my hands. "Do you see the order number at the top?" Yes. "Read it to me. No wait. It would be easier if you called our 800 number and told them the problem."
No offense, but I didn't buy the pants from an 800 number or website. I bought the pants from you. In the store.
"I know, but trust me, it will be easier if 'we' do it this way. Hold on a minute and I'll get the number."
Easier for whom?
But apparently the only way I was going to get the pants was to call the number. So I did.
15 minutes later, I learned the following... The 800 number did not have a record of my order. The 800 number did not have a record of me as a client - even after I provided the store address, transaction number, associate number, order number off the receipt, my phone number and email address.
"I will have to kick this up a level to my supervisor and see why we don't have this order. Then my supervisor will send you an email within 24 to 48 hours letting you know what we find out."
"Actually, will you have your supervisor call me? I would like to get this resolved and I don't want to have to sort through emails looking for a response."
"It would be easier if we just send you an email..."
Easier for whom?
I am 99.9% certain that both of the individuals I dealt with on this issue are of a younger generation than I am.
At some level we were not communicating. I asked myself, is this a generational issue or training issue? Is it possible that this is an example of the company's best customer service practices? From my point of view, I did not receive the a satisfactory level of service relative to the amount of money I exchanged for a pair of pants (actually three pairs). Or at least the promise of a pair of pants.
And these issues go in both directions. I suspect that "David" was equally frustrated with me. Perhaps he thought providing me with an 800 number was great customer service. So was Megan, the 800 Number Operator. It was as if we were speaking two different languages. What I expected in a sales relationship differed from what they expected in a sales relationship.
So I will work harder to match the expectations of individuals in other generations and not allow our differences to get under my skin. However, it would be nice if they took a step or two in my direction.
"People do business with people, not businesses."
PS. A voice mail message is waiting for me. "Mr. Davis, this is Anne from XYZ company. I am so sorry about your pants. We have been closed for days due to the heavy snow. Your pants are in route and they will be there on Friday. Once again I am so, so sorry. If you have any questions, here is my phone number..."
I would know that generation anywhere.

No comments: